Keystone 10 is a quality improvement breastfeeding initiative aimed at improving the protection, promotion and support of breastfeeding for all Pennsylvania infants, mothers and families.
These 10 steps are the framework for the Baby-Friendly hospital initiative in Pennsylvania.
1. Have a written Breastfeeding policy.
2. Train all staff in needed breastfeeding skills.
3. Inform pregnant women about breastfeeding.
4. Help mothers breastfeed within an hour after birth.
5. Show mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation.
6. Give babies no food or drink other than breastmilk unless medically indicated.
7. Keep mothers and their babies in the same room.
8. Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
9. Do not use pacifier or artificial nipples
10. Foster the establishment of Breastfeeding Support and refer mothers to upon discharge from the hospital.
Step 10 is why the Breastfeeding Center of Central PA was established.
Steps 1-9 ensure families have a solid start with breastfeeding, but step 10 furthers that commitment through support of community networks that are critical in helping families achieve their long term breastfeeding goals.
All families should be given information on where they can get support after discharge. Healthcare Providers, especially those providing prenatal care, should also be made aware of the support networks and resources.